A blog dedicated to understanding Hans Blumenberg's Höhlenausgänge.

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Legitimacy of the Modern Age

A book arrived in the mail today, Blumenberg's The Legitimacy of the Modern Age, from 1966. Looking at the translator's introduction, which summarizes Blumenberg's disagreement with philosophers of history who characterize progress as "a secularization of eschatology", one of my first thoughts is that I've got to remember Höhlenausgänge is Blumenberg's last book. I have no doubt the "Neuzeit" invoked repeatedly in Erinnerung an den Anfang is heavily informed by this earlier work -- where when I read the essay I was just treating it as a common word, and thinking it was carrying a lot of weight for such a short word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com